Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Long hikes. Cold weather...

Tuesday, April 10, 2018
It has been two weeks and two days since I began the Paleo Diet in earnest and I am down 7 pounds in the time period.  That’s too much fat for such a short period of time, so I’m shedding some water, too.  Still, I feel better and know it is working.  The biggest difference in my case is less about it being Paleo – eating fish and vegetables every night – and more about not following it with a huge bowl of ice cream an hour later.  I’ve been passing on all the snack food and pastries constantly available at the farm, as well.  If I just continue that part and add grains and dairy back after 30 days, I know I’ll continue to shed fat pounds.

It was a night for the Survival Workout, but I couldn’t motivate myself to do it.  It remains cold – high thirties at best – but that’s no excuse.  I wanted to get in a long hike with Dakota and couldn’t do both.  I owe her that.  She’s going to be 13 in a couple of months and that’s past the time when canines start to slow down.  My thinking is that as long as I keep encouraging her, the longer she’ll go.  Right now, she still handles it all easily and acts like a puppy when I reach for a stick.  No signs of slowing.  We headed for the Everett Road Bridge, but again extended the hike by picking up the Perkins Trail and climbing through the woods overlooking the river valley and Hale Farm.  I was fortunate to hear the screech of a Pileated Woodpecker and then see this large, beautiful bird fifty yards off the trail.  One raccoon, opossum, and three deer later, we were back to the road and completing a seven-mile hike.

The forecast says we’ll see the seventies before week’s end, but that snow showers are in the mix over the next ten days.  I think I’m going to risk it and take the snowplow off the truck.  I’m sick of this winter.  I’m ready to ride, run, camp and work out in t-shirt and shorts.

Hike: 2 hours.
Training Heart Rate: 70 -110 bpm.
Calories Burned: 700
Bonus: 23,000 steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment