Monday, April 9, 2018

Keeping ahead of Kathy...

Saturday, April 7, 2018
Since getting my Fitbit two Christmas’s ago, I’ve found that it definitely pushes me to do more walking.  I tend to average 20K steps a day during the work week, but struggle to get those kind of numbers over the weekend…work accounting for about 13K of the 20.  Kathy has a Fitbit and requested me as a ‘friend’ so she could see how many steps I was doing a day…and then do more.

“Good luck with that.  I average 20K per day,” I said, which fired her up.

“I had one friend I used to check on after she went to bed and then I’d go out and do some more just to beat her,” she admitted.  She is rather competitive.

Knowing she would be checking on me, I found myself with only 1,500 steps by mid-afternoon and walk time with Dakota.  My normal course, which was about five miles, would never do.  I looked over a map of the park for trails that intersected with my normal hike and found one to add.  With Dakota in tow, I headed out.

We walked over to the Everett Road covered bridge and then started up the newly closed section of his road as it heads up and out of the valley.  At the halfway point, Riding Run Trail crosses the road and so we hopped onto it.  I found it to be a challenging, but enjoyable hike and discovered the remains of at least two old homes off what was likely once a dirt road.  We made a 3-mile circuit and returned to the bridge before returning home.

Dakota had a minor limp as we walked the final steps, which totaled over 15K for the hike, or about 9 miles.  I pushed it out to 18K before the day was over, which should give Kathy something to shoot for.  I hope she was out until midnight picking up steps.
Bonus: 18,000 steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment