Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Getting it right...

Monday, April 2, 2018

A couple of weeks have come and gone since my last blog, but where that might normally mean I hadn’t been working out, such was not the case. 

A couple of weeks ago, I walked my old Survival Workout course in the North Chagrin Reservation.  I was looking for a particular rock that I used to do my biceps curls and found it where I’d left it – just off the trail and leaning against a stump covered in a mossy, green fungus.  It’s hard to find just the right rock.  You need to be able to hold it in one hand and it has to have enough weight to test the biceps over ten plus repetitions.  This was the perfect one and I happily toted it the mile back to the car and tossed it in the back seat.  Once home, I dropped it on my driveway determined I was going to get the workout started again with that rock as my foundation.

The next morning, a chilly Sunday with snow still on the ground, I climbed out of bed, put on my workout clothes, called to Dakota and headed out the door.  An hour later I’d done 14 different sets with muscles that would surely rebel the next couple of days…which they did.

I also began the Paleo Diet a week ago.  My weight had climbed dangerously close to 200 pounds, peaking at 199.  I hadn’t been checking, but knew from the way my pants fit and what my mirror told me.  Though I’d started riding again, I had done nothing to cut back on consumption, which included a bowl of ice cream 3-4 nights per week.  Paleo means lean meats, fruits and vegetables and goodbye to grains, dairy and most things that taste really, really good.  If I can get myself doing the Survival Workout regularly again, weight will fall off with this regimen.  I know from experience having dropped 15 pounds the last time I followed it.  Discipline is the key.  Temptations abound.

I’d been able to ride the new bike, Locke, several times through the month of February as it was a mild winter month.  March however, came in like the proverbial lion and did not let up.  Rain and work conspired as well and it was not until yesterday that I got outside to ride again.  I had done a couple of workouts on the trainer and so I was confident that I could tackle the Everett Road hill and a longer ride.  The temperature hovered in the mid to low forties and I dressed accordingly.  The climb out of the valley created a free flow of sweat, which tended to freeze my head over the remainder of the ride.  At one point towards the end of the ride, I heard my phone ringing.  I had a contractor at the farm and thought it might be him so I pulled over to take the call.  It was Savannah.

“You can get East Coast Custard’s ice cream truck to come to your house for a party and pay a $30 travel fee plus whatever people eat.  I’m thinking it wouldn’t be right NOT to have it at my rehearsal dinner and maybe since they’re in my backyard, they’ll wave the travel fee,” she said.

“Now that’s an excellent plan.  I think the father of the bride is traditionally the one that pays for ice cream trucks, so I’ll pick up the tab,” I said, figuring I’d be off the Paleo Diet by then – or at least on that day.

I completed the ride discovering new riding roads.  I descended from Brecksville Road back into the Valley on Columbia Road.  It is in atrocious condition, but I rode down this winding, pot-holed road with both brakes fully engaged.  It dumps down onto Riverview Road a short distance north of Boston Mills ski slopes, which is an excellent riding road with a wide, smooth shoulder.  I completed the 25-mile ride in a little over 90 minutes, cold but pleased.  I hopped on the scale before jumping in the shower and was even happier to find I’d dropped to 193.8 pounds…and that after just a little cheating on Easter Sunday.  Tomorrow should hit the sixties, but with rain in the forecast it may be back to the trainer.  Progress made.  Discipline intact.
Bike Ride: 90 minutes
Training Heart Rate: 135 bpm.
Calories Burned: 1125
Bonus: 23,000 steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment