Monday, April 16, 2018

And the weather report says...

Saturday, April 14, 2018
I try to plan my weekends based on the Weather Channel forecasts I review the day before, but in Cleveland weather forecasts are simply suggestions.  In any event, the prediction was unequivocal.  Rain all day.  100%.  No doubt about it.  With this information, I gave up any notion of going to Mimi’s for yard work or of doing another bike ride.  I figured I’d use the day to at least visit with Mimi and my granddaughter in between running chores.

Then I walked outside Saturday morning to temperatures in the sixties and overcast skies, but no rain.  Dakota, out for her morning poop, looked up at me as if to say ‘let’s hike while we can’.  Maybe we could make it…

We started on our 5-mile loop, me carrying an umbrella and doubts about staying dry.  We completed it in a little over an hour with hints that the sun might poke out.  I called Mimi and told her I’d be over later and put off my visiting plans while pulling on my riding gear.  In less than five minutes I was on the road. 

I followed the course I’d done the day before without making the mistake of going down the very steep slope to Bath Road.  My legs were far from fresh following the previous day’s effort, though.  And the wind was still pushing in my face as I pushed my exhausted legs over the final part of the ride.  As I coasted up the driveway to a stop, I knew I was spent, but that a ride of 63 miles on Wednesday was not out of the question, should the weather cooperate.

I went to Mimi’s and did some yard work for a couple of hours and watched the steps on my Fitbit climb towards 25,000.  I was anxious to return home, shower again and climb on the scale.  All this effort was undoubtedly going to mean something.

And it did.  I was down another half-pound and loving it.  I celebrated by eating a burger that night, though I passed on the cheese.  My pants were hanging loosely again and my belt had no more notches to use.  I may need a new one because I’m not stopping until I’m down another five at least.
Bike Ride: One hour and 45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120-135 bpm.
Calories Burned: 1,250
Bonus: 25,000 steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment