Wednesday, January 31, 2018

North Country National Scenic Trail...

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

A friend who knows all about my keen interest in all things Adirondack sent me an article regarding forty miles of trails being designed as part of the North Country Trail within the boundaries of the park.  I had done some research on the North Country Trail while considering my retirement treks, but had discounted it as too long for a single season hike – 4,651 miles – and with too many miles on roads instead of trails – 1,500.  I also wanted to experience an adventure out west – of seeing some of the great, natural wonders that made up the Pacific Crest Trail, which passed through things like Yosemite and the Sierra Nevada’s, to name just two.  But then I began pondering all the difficulties of resupply and getting to and from the PCT and decided to look in earnest at the NCT.

Though the concept of the NCT had been in the works since the late 1960’s, it wasn’t until an act of Congress in March of 1980 that it received official designation as a National Scenic Trail.  Since then, thousands of volunteers have dedicated countless hours to bringing the trail to life.  It starts on Lake Champlain in northern New York and within the boundaries of the Adirondack State Park and begins winding its way west and south for a little over 700 miles before entering Pennsylvania at its northwestern corner.  It is only in that state for 272 miles before entering Ohio where is largely hiked on the Buckeye Trail for the next 1,000 miles.  It enters Michigan, the state with the most hiking miles – 1,152 - before moving into Wisconsin, Minnesota and finally North Dakota where it terminates two thirds of the way across that state.

I suppose the greatest appeal of the NCT would be its proximity to home and friends who might join me for parts of the hike or were willing to help with resupply.  To date, only 16 hikers have completed the entire trail in a single year, and I suppose this notable item appeals, as well.  Doing the math though, it would take over seven months, hiking an average of 20 miles a day, to complete. This may be a little out of my comfort zone.

And then I get back to the big question.  Why undertake such a thing at all?  I love the outdoors, hiking and camping, but this is way beyond any of that.  I could meet those needs in so many different ways yet my mind keeps returning to what most might think of as an insane endeavor.  It seems almost too selfish to do just for me.  I would be unavailable to friends and family for any help or support they might need for that entire time.  It would be all about me and that bothers me.  If I can’t turn it into a pulpit of some kind, I don’t see doing it and that's why I got in touch with my hiking and riding partner of the last twenty years to brainstorm something I'd been thinking about.  I already knew from speaking with John that hiking, camping and climbing in the wilderness can have immeasurable benefits for people struggling with depression and addictions.  I have seen the travesty things maladies visit on people I love and would gain great satisfaction from thinking there might be a way to aid anyone suffering in such a manner.  I suggested to him that there might be some way to tie in my endeavor with one he and his wife were working on - a way to help people struggling with both depression and addiction at the same time.  We have some time and will continue to explore any value my trek might have in raising awareness and as a direct aid. 

Monday was warm enough to ride and I thought about where and for how long I would go as soon as I got home from work.  I knew it might be my last chance to get outside for several days…or even weeks…and was extremely anxious to get home and get started.  I got into my car around three and had no sooner pulled out onto the road than the rain/snow began to fall.  By the time I got home, it was a full on snow storm and the ride was off.  Disappointed, I called to Dakota and we headed out on a 4-mile hike.  It’s still January after all and I should be happy I got in one ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment