Friday, November 3, 2017

Walking in the dark...

Thursday, November 2, 2017
So the rains that weren’t supposed to be continued, though it did warm up into the 60’s.  After doing some more painting in the house on a project that I’ve vowed to finish this weekend, I put Dakota on a leash and headed out the door for a new hike I’d mapped out.  Yes…I have over a hundred miles of towpath at my disposal and never have to set foot on a road to access or use it.  However, it is populated with hikers, joggers, and cyclists and with Dakota on a leash this can all be problematic so I avoid it.  I have ridden on a road that dead ends into a beautifully rehabbed covered bridge, now open only to foot traffic and so I took a trail to this road and walked it for over a mile.  It winds through the Park with a limited number of homes off of it and, therefore, very little vehicle traffic.  I had three cars pass me during the walk and each waved and smiled as they went by respectfully slowly.  The trees on both sides pushed up against the road with their radiant fall colors and the silence was nearly complete.  I made my way to the bridge where I picked up a trail that led back to the towpath and to my house.  It was the best and most peaceful walk I’ve had since moving to the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and reminded me that you can find beauty and solace in non-traditional hikes if you’re looking.

I had purchased a head lamp for Miggie in hopes that she would come out on some hikes after dark.  She tried it on and we headed for the towpath after dinner in total darkness.  This doesn’t bother me in the least; the moon will illuminate the trail well enough to see where I’m going and since there are no roots, rocks or other obstructions over which I might trip, I feel entirely comfortable.  Miggie, on the other hand, does not like the dark and I found out just how much as we walked along.

“I’m freaking out!  Let me hold your hand!” she said.

I accommodated and asked her what made her feel so unsafe with me right there.  She explained how, as a five-year old on Halloween, three older teens had stopped her and stolen her candy.  She had been walking alone in the dark then and thinks maybe that’s why she still has the fear today. 

We were lucky enough to have heard several coyotes yipping and howling as we walked (I liked it, anyway) and as we approached the path that leads to our home from the towpath, I noticed several pairs of eyes glowing in the dark just inside the tree line.

“See those eyes?” I said as I pointed.

She saw them and wasn’t too pleased.  I moved closer expecting coyotes, but found a mother cat and three kittens instead.  She anxiously steered me towards our street and the streetlights illuminating the remainder of our hike.

So…probably won’t have Miggie’s company on parts of the Pacific Crest Trail.  I will try to convince her to be part of a support team for resupply, though.  Daylight savings time is ending and I think I’ll be doing a lot of hiking in the dark for some time.
Hike: 90 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  75 bpm.
Calories burned: 550.
Bonus: 25,000 steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment