Thursday, November 2, 2017

Astros win...

Wednesday, November 1, 2017
“…and it should hit the low 60’s with some sunshine later today here in Cleveland,” the radio announced on my drive to work yesterday morning.

Good.  I’m already sick of colder weather and when you add the rain, I don’t want to even leave the house.  I was anxious to get out and do a workout after work in weather more attuned to the season.

Well…they lied again.  Like Charlie Brown lining up the kick with Lucy holding before yanking it away at the last second so he would fall on his butt again, I was sure this time the report was right.  Forties and rain as I drove home.  I mean – really?  That’s not even close.  If I missed by that much when I was driving the tractor at the farm, I’d run over a car or two parked nearby…and then they’d fire me!  Ah well…Cleveland weather.

I painted for a couple of hours waiting for the rains to stop, but they never did.  Not even Dakota wanted to go out.  I resigned myself to not having 20,000 steps on the first day of the new month and picked up and finished my book about the hiker on the Continental Divide.

He spent his final days of his six-month trek plowing through snow and weather below zero in the mountains of Montana and into Glacier National Park.  His final night in the high country found him face to face with his first, and only, Grizzly Bear.  Fortunately, it walked away instead of eating him and he was able to complete the walk the next day.  Nothing I read about his adventures made me inclined to walk the Continental Divide.  He did his hike in 1986 and much has changed in those thirty years to make it a more defined trail, but I’m still not biting.  I can’t get the snow and rain out of my head, though.  I’m sure I’ll be spending countless days and nights in both in two summers.

The Houston Astros are World Series champs for the first time in franchise history – which began for them as the Houston Colt 45’s in 1962.  Well…whoopee doo for them.  Our last World Series win, the longest drought in Major League Baseball, will be seventy years this summer.  We had the best team in baseball this year and the best Indians squad ever and still didn’t win.  Can I live long enough to see it happen?  What is the longest a human ever lived?  I’ve read stuff about Moses and other Bible stars making to 900+ years, so maybe there is hope.  God help me and all Indians fans if the weather man starts to predict us winning…

No comments:

Post a Comment