Monday, September 11, 2017

Sore hips...

Friday, September 8, 2017
After finally getting back in the writing groove, I ran into the weekend (I typically write the blog in the morning for the previous day) and a very busy schedule working around the house…which we’ll call BORING!  Friday, though, I did manage a workout.

I’m continuing to keep my eye on the ball for heading into the back country in the Adirondacks during the first weekend in October.  I strapped on the pack again and headed off on Oak Hill Trail for what would turn out to be another two-hour hike.  Though I hadn’t had the pack on the previous day, I could still feel the fatigue in my hips from the step-ups and the raw indentations my hip belt was causing on my hips.  I thought as I walked how painful and fatiguing it must be to be out on a through-hike (extended hikes where you camp along the way, carrying all you will need on your back as you walk from point A to point B).  I have been contemplating my own trek – the Continental Divide trail as the ultimate goal – for my retirement years and keep wondering if my body will take the beating of a 2,700 mile journey over several months if a 5-miler feels as lousy as this one felt.  I’ll start with something shorter and figure that out later.

Jack arrived home from Ft. Gordon for a two-week visit and disparaged the Indians and baseball as something quite less than LBJ and basketball.  Thankfully, I have Savannah, who loves baseball and the Tribe.  We will be working on a fitness/running plan for him to run that sub 12-minute 2-mile run he hopes to accomplish later this fall.  He’s a dedicated athlete and if I map it out, I have no doubt he will follow the plan and achieve his goal.

Hike: Two hours.
Training Heart Rate: 90-120 bpm.
Calories Burned: 1,300
Bonus: 21,000 steps for the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment