Tuesday, September 19, 2017

A lucky man...

Sunday, September 17, 2017
Oh, I am a lucky dad.  Jack is home on leave and has spent the past ten days staying with his sister mostly, and then his brother.  When he comes home, he wants to spend all of time getting up late, relaxing and spending quality time with his immediate family, which includes me.  Saturday, he, Savannah, Heidi and I took in an Indians game and watched them begin their new winning streak.  He and Heidi came home with me and spent the evening.  “You need to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ with me and tell me what you think, dad,” Jack had said.  And so we did.  I had worked at Mimi’s Saturday morning and gone from that right into heading to the game, so the only workout I’d gotten was yard work (some sweat) and the steps to walk from our parking spot to the game – which is a considerable distance since I WILL NOT pay for parking somewhere close by.

I knew the day was going to go something like the previous one, though the guys were coming over for a spaghetti dinner and a baseball movie.  We were planning a hike, but nothing rigorous so I donned my running shoes and headed out for a jog while the kids slept.  I headed for the towpath and ran from my place to Ira Road – a little over 10 minutes – before turning and heading back.  At the 15-minute mark, my knee began to hurt.  I ignored it for several steps before realizing it was not going away.  I walked for a couple of minutes and tried again, but nope, it still hurt.  I walked the remaining distance having to satisfy myself with a good sweat and a couple of miles of running.

The hike canceled and so the run became the total workout.  Well…it was something and the preparation for the trip into the backcountry of the Adirondacks the first weekend of October continues.  I’ll get back there and I’ll get up the peaks, but I wish I had more time and had done more training. 
Run: 16 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 130 bpm.
Calories Burned: 250
Bonus: 16,000 steps for the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment