Friday, June 17, 2016

"Hey...slow down!"

Thursday, June 16, 2016
“I did a hike with the pack and managed 150 step-ups,” I bragged to John knowing full well his lazy ass hadn’t done a thing.

“My lazy ass hasn’t done a thing!  You said you were out of shape and wouldn’t be training for this trip,” he whined.  “You lied…again!”

“That’s what I do…lie and train,” I said.

But I really haven’t done nearly enough to consider myself in shape.  Yet I am pleased that despite not hiking with a pack since last fall and not having done much with the Survival Workout, neither has left me sore this past week.  I have been particularly active both at the farm and on my second jobs, but I’m surprised at my level of conditioning for not having trained.

We discussed the itinerary, which would include camping on the Bouquet River just outside of Keene Valley and eating at the Noonmark.

“It’s a short trip and I’m not sure I feel like lots of dehydrated foods since we won’t be in the back country,” I said.  John was all in.

I had another grueling day dealing with issues at the farm, exacerbated by torrential rains.  I’ve been trying to waterproof the basement on our rental house by digging out the foundation and then patching, but the giant hole is collecting water and sending it into the basement faster than ever without any soil to slow its progress.  It’s also a horrible idea to pick up bags of cement, put them in the back of an open truck, and then have it rain like hell on them.  When I tried to pull them from the bed, they broke open and spilled their sixty-pound contents on the ground.  Oh…and it gets hard when mixing with water.

I went to scrape the inside of a garage to try and clear it of loose plaster and black mold after leaving the farm, which  didn’t work out so well.  I should pull the wall down and start over, but the owners want a band aide…not surgery.  I picked up salmon, ground turkey meat, spinach and other vegetables on the way home and cooked up bunches of good paleo meals until 8 p.m. when I finally collapsed and rested.

So…another day without a formal workout.  John should be happy, but I’m functioning on overdrive and may walk him into the dirt in the mountains.  That, or I’ll kill myself.
Bonus: 10,400 steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment